Eye-Healthy Breakfast Muffin
I subscribe to the idea that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I want something nutritious, tasty, and quick to prepare.
My go-to breakfast is a muffin and fruit. I created a recipe for an eye-healthy muffin that is filling and incorporates ingredients that can promote eye health. I chose ingredients that are high in dietary fiber with a lower glycemic index.1 The whole grains in the recipe reduce inflammation.2,3 I added ground flaxseed and chia seeds known to have fatty acids that may help dry eyes.
This basic recipe is easy to adapt to your individual taste. Dried or fresh fruits fruits and nuts are great add-ins.
Makes 12 servings
Serving size: 1 muffin
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for eye-healthy breakfast muffin
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plain white flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
Directions for eye-healthy breakfast muffin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin pan
- Measure dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs & sugar: add oil & vanilla and stir together. Add to the dry ingredients
- Add milk and applesauce, stir until mixed well
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan; makes 12 muffins
- Bake 25 minutes
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from the pan
Store cool muffins in a ziplock bag. To eat warm, microwave for 30 seconds. Add a piece of fruit and beverage of choice for a quick and eye healthy breakfast.
- calories: 186
- carbohydrate: 26.2g
- cholesterol: 31mg
- fat: 7.4g
- fiber: 2.7g
- potassium: 230mg
- protein: 4.3g
- saturated fat: 1.2g
- sodium: 111mg
- sugar: 9.8g
Disclaimer: ChronicDryEye.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you ever canceled travel plans due to dry eye?